Everyone knows my absolute love and addiction to candy, especially gummie bears. But lately all I can do is think about chocolate, and how I psych myself out by only making small portions and saying to myself “I only ate four pieces, it’s not that bad” when the reality is, I ate four pieces within 10 minutes. Well here we go again…….. chocolate covered strawberries and what better way to lie to myself than to indulge in the greatness.
- 16 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 pound fresh strawberries with leaves
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup almonds crushed
- Insert toothpicks into the tops of the strawberries.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and shortening, stirring occasionally until smooth. Holding them by the toothpicks, dip the strawberries into the chocolate mixture.
- Dip strawberries into the nuts or chips
- Turn the strawberries upside down and insert the toothpick into styrofoam for the chocolate to cool.
- Allow strawberries to cool in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours, this will yield the best chocolate covered strawberries.