DIY Leather & Wool Arm Warmers

With my endless amount of 3/4 sleeve jackets and coats which work perfectly for fall, the thought of having to retire them for winter doesn’t quite work well for me.  Sure I can throw on a sweater but I figured leather arm warmers will be a bit more fashionable and versatile.

Dress: Halston

Measure bottom portion of sleeve to 9 1/2 inches

Measure top portion of sleeve to 12 inches

Measure sides of sleeve to 15 inches long

Cut all measurements exactly

On the wrong side of hide, fold in half and sew 5/8″ from edge

Measure the wool and cut a 8×14″ piece

Attach the wool to the correct side of the leather and sew 5/8″ from the edge.  Once the edge is sewn, sew down the side of the wool 5/8″ to complete.

view of attached wool to leather

Turn the sleeve inside out and fold the leather cuff under 1/2″, pin and sew close to the edge.  Make sure enough space is left in the hem to add the elastic.

Attach the elastic to a small safety pin and fish through the hem.

Pull the elastic through until it gathers and close off with a tripple stitch.

Repeat the hem process with the wool.

• November 14, 2012 / 7:27 pm

Thank you! but not amazing 🙂

• November 14, 2012 / 7:27 pm

Thanks Rhonda, you have to let me see how they turn out.

November 13, 2012 / 3:39 pm

How can I place an order for these arm warmers. I need them in my life, but I am not a seamstress by any means. I can't even sew a button on correctly.

• November 14, 2012 / 7:26 pm

2. November 14, 2012 / 6:27 pm

I love this idea so cute and can you please example to me the how the site you ordered your leather from do their measurements, I notice that they sell by the sq ft so if I order 10 sq ft that will equal 1 yard in sewing terms right, meaning will it be 1 yard like fabric you buy from the fabric store. I hope you understand what I'm asking.

• November 14, 2012 / 7:26 pm

Purchasing 9sqft of leather is roughly 1 yard and won't be exact due to the shape and inconsistency of leather. To be on the safe side, if your pattern calls for 1 yard I would go with 13 sqft. In terms of purchasing leather for the arm warmers, you will be safe with 9-10sft with leather left over.
      I hope that helps.
      I also sell these warmers on Etsy if you don't want to go through the process. https://www.etsy.com/listing/114905623/leather-and-wool-arm-warmers

Nikki

3. August 20, 2013 / 2:24 pm

So glad I found your blog, have been following you for a couple of weeks now. I love this. I have a beige cashmere coat that I bought at the thrift store several years ago for $13 and it has 3/4 sleeves. I have never worn it because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do but I will be making these leather sleeve warmers. Leather and cashmere together. I can't wait. Looking forward to seeing your youtube channel.

November 16, 2013 / 8:58 pm

I love this idea and can't wait to make a pair for my 3/4 sleeve jacket. Can you tell me where you purchased your lambskin leather from and your wool boucle fabric? Can't wait to make a pair! Thank you so much!!!

5. January 25, 2014 / 9:01 pm

What would be the length measurement if I wanted to use all leather and not the wool? Thanks!

• January 27, 2014 / 2:27 pm

It depends on the length of your arm. I would measure your arm and go off of that.