When it comes to shrimp I could literally eat them daily, but unfortunately I have to check my hereditary cholesterol issue so I try to keep it to a minimum. But one of my favorite dishes which I remember vividly acting as a taste tester for was my mom’s shrimp francese which has a tangy citrus explosion of flavors. Dished up this is a gorgeous meal to serve to at a dinner party.
1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
2 large eggs and 1 tbls egg white
1 cup flour
2/3 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup white wine
juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup onions
1 cup chopped tomatoes
4 tbls cold butter
1 8-oz package of spinach
4 tbls plus 1 tsp olive oil
1. Whisk the egg, parsley, garlic powder, pepper and salt in a small bowl. In another bowl add the flour.
2. Heat the 4 tbls olive oil in a shallow pan.
3. Dip the shrimp in the egg mix then flour and fry until lightly brown.
4. In another skillet add 1tsp oil and brown the onion. Add the wine, lemon juice, broth and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes and butter and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
5. Steam the spinach in a sauce pan with salt and pepper and set aside.
6. Add the shrimp to the wine sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. Serve the shrimp and sauce over the spinach.
8. Garnish with fresh shredded Parmesan.