DIY Ruffle Dress

IMG_3631
When I fall in love with something, I tend to go all out buying or making it in multiple colors and variations which is what happened with this Mccalls 6355 pattern.  It was such a quick fun dress, I couldn’t resist making it in this medium weight jersey I picked up from Joann’s.  I made a few changes this go around with a slightly longer ruffle, and top stitch pleat design lines down the front of the dress which makes the dress better fitting and uniquely different.  I also added 1/8″ to the sleeve to balance the longer ruffle.  I may try to sneak in another version before the end of the summer :).

Dress-  available here
Clutch- Fendi
Shades- Prada

1. June 14, 2013 / 8:17 am

sorry meant to ask about the pleats on the bottom. How do you decide on the amount of fabric needed? Do you use a curved ruler to take in the waist?

• June 14, 2013 / 1:00 pm

I didn't cut the fabric for the pleats until I was finished with the dress. Because these pleats are a bit larger, I used 1.8x the circumference of the bottom of the dress for the width and 6 1/2" in length. Tip: If you pin the pleat fabric to the seams of the circumference of the dress and build your pleats while it's pinned, you will know how large you need your pleats and how much fabric you have to work with without making a mistake. I didn't use a curved ruler for the waist, I fit the design lines while I had the dress on to ensure a proper fit.
      I hope that helps.

June 14, 2013 / 12:39 pm

I love this dress….so cute

3. June 14, 2013 / 2:12 pm

Um…I'm not a lesbian but you have an amazing frame. The dresses you wear compliment your figure. Do you actively work out?

• June 18, 2013 / 12:36 pm

Thank you Tracy, unfortunately I do lol

4. June 14, 2013 / 3:11 pm

This is such a flattering dress on you, you should make it in every color or until you get tired of it! I love the seam work down the front. That looks great!

• June 18, 2013 / 12:36 pm

June 14, 2013 / 7:17 pm

I WOULD LOVE TO PURCHASE THIS!

6. Tiffany
    June 18, 2013 / 1:11 am

Just found your blog today (linked from LHCF) and LOVE IT! I know you probably eyeballed it, but what is the approximate width of each pleat? Will be my first time sewing pleats. Also do you hem before or after you make the pleats?

7. June 18, 2013 / 12:34 pm

Thank you Tiffany, the approx width of each pleat is roughly 2 inches. I hem after sewing on the pleats.

I hope that helps.

Nikki

June 18, 2013 / 1:25 pm

Love this dress! I've looked at that pattern and thought it was way to plain. McCall pattern are on sale this week and guess what pattern I'm purchasing :-). Thanks for the post – LaDonna

• July 24, 2013 / 5:53 pm

Thank you LaDonna–What's crazy is when I'm selecting patterns, I love the most plain and simple ones. It allows for more creativity.