Health & Fitness

When it comes to fitness I have to admit it’s truly a necessary evil for me.  I would rather devour an entire bread pudding in one sitting than work out, but unfortunately it’s not an option anymore.  I, like pretty much every woman I know is not 100% satisfied with my body but have over the years accepted the fact despite how many lunges and squats I do, I will never be completely rid of cellulite.  In addition to the cellulite which I now consider womanhood,  I will NOT eliminate carbs from my diet, nor will I deprive myself, it’s just simply not gonna happen I love food wayyy too much.  With that said,  I do make an effort to watch what I eat and have become accustomed to naturally graviting toward healthier options.   I’m conscience of what I eat and know that regardless how intense a workout is, if your diet isn’t on point, it’s all for nothing. The last few months I have been asked about my health and fitness routine which I promised I would post, so here goes.

I workout at home 4 days a week for a little over an hour using the following equipment with the following routine.  If you don’t have access to gym equipment, the workout I do gives you a mix of home and gym.

Equipment:

Treadmill- Lifespan 4000I
Multi Gym-Inspire M4 fitness
Curl Bar
Weight Plates  2x25lb  4x10lb 4x5lb
Weight Bench

Treadmill- (4 days)
10 minute run on the treadmill at 5.0 mph and 2 incline
3 minute on each side, treadmill side step 2.8 mph 10 incline (see an example here)
5 minute reverse walking treadmill 2.0 mph 10 incline (see an example here )
2 minute treadmill walking lunge 1.3 mph 15 incline (see an example here)

Legs and glutes (alternate with chest arms and back days)
Plie’ Squats-2 sets of 12 with a 40lb weight (see an example here)
Walking Lunges-50 walking lunges with a 10lb weight in each hand (see an example here)
Weighted Squats- 3 sets of 12 with 2 25lb weights (see an example here)
Dead Lift- 3 sets of 12 with 2 25lb weights- (see an example here)
Leg Extension- 3 sets of 12- (see example here)
Leg Curls- 3 sets of 12 (see example here)
Kick backs-2 sets of 12 on each side (see example here)

Chest, arms, abs and back (alternate with legs and glutes)
Chest press- 2 sets of 12 (see example here)
Twisting jack knife- 2 sets of 12 using a 10lb weight (see example here)
Shoulder press- 2 sets of 12 (see example here)
Tricep push down- 2 sets of 12 (see example here)
Kneeling ab crunch 2 sets of 12 (see example here)
Bicep Curl 2 sets of 12 (see example here)
Wide lat pull down 2 sets of 12 (see example here)

Pre workout drink- I generally need something to give me gym energy but doesn’t leave me jittery for the rest of the day and this one is pretty good.

Found here

Shakeology- Perfect after work-out shake

Vitamins vitamins vitamins- I am faithful to my vitamin intake and because I am not a fan of taking pills, I take the easy route and go gummy when I can.

Health and fitness is a part of my life not just because I need my clothes to fit properly but because I want and need to be healthy.  When I start my day with fitness I tend to make better choices throughout.  This routine works for me, it’s very no frills and because I workout at home, gives me NO excuses.

1. June 18, 2013 / 5:33 am

Does that treadmill side step move help with the inner thighs?

• June 18, 2013 / 12:45 pm

Yes, it works the inner thighs and also the butt.

June 18, 2013 / 6:32 am

You should try dry brushing for cellulite. It also helps release waste and toxins from the body. Just google dry brushing or check on YouTube. It really works to tighten the skin!

• June 18, 2013 / 12:45 pm

Thank you, that's good information. I heard about dry brushing a few years ago but never knew anyone who tried it. I will have to look it up.

June 18, 2013 / 12:45 pm

Thanks for sharing Nicky

• June 19, 2013 / 12:36 am

Your very welcome 🙂

4. Tangie
    June 18, 2013 / 12:46 pm

Do these vitamins upset your stomach?

• June 20, 2013 / 2:51 am

No not at all

5. June 18, 2013 / 1:50 pm

Thanks for sharing! I'm gonna see if I can flow this.

• June 19, 2013 / 12:38 am

Your welcome Ebony, I would start with I would alter the weight and reps but I'm confident you can do it.

6. June 18, 2013 / 1:50 pm

Thanks for sharing! I'm gonna see if I can flow this.

7. June 18, 2013 / 2:39 pm

I am definitely going to add some of these into my rotation and try that pre-drink workout. Thank you! Very inspiring 🙂

• June 19, 2013 / 12:38 am

Your welcome Georgina

8. June 18, 2013 / 4:42 pm

Thanks for sharing….heading over to youtube to watch the demonstrations now….

• June 19, 2013 / 12:38 am

Your quite welcome

9. June 18, 2013 / 5:34 pm

Like you, I've made peace with those things I know aren't going to change, like my C-section pooch. It ain't going nowhere without a surgical knife. I don't eat sweets, but I like my wine, cocktails, pasta and potatoes! Thanks for sharing!

• June 19, 2013 / 12:40 am

I know right, what do you do. I don't understand how you don't eat sweets, girl I would stop breathing lol.

10. jane
    June 18, 2013 / 6:34 pm

Thank you for the list of workouts. It's so true about what we eat and workouts. We can never over workout what we ate. How long have you been using the treadmill? WIRFM says the lifespan fitness treadmill is a good fit for what I'm doing and your opinion on your experiences with this brand would be great.

May I have permission to print out your workout?

• June 19, 2013 / 12:45 am

Hi Jane,

I love this treadmill and have had it for about two years. It's very sturdy with a lot of features including the lifespan thumb drive which monitors your progress. I can listen to music through the built-in speakers and the on-board heart monitor is fantastic. Feel free to print this workout.

11. June 18, 2013 / 10:54 pm

The dry brush makes me feel better all together. It's really good for the skin too but u don't have that to worry about! Ur flawless!

• June 19, 2013 / 12:46 am

Thank you I'm going to try it out this weekend. And girl I can show you some flaws lol but thank you anyway.

12. Olivia
    June 19, 2013 / 8:44 pm

Thank you for sharing your routine. I work out at home too and I will try to add a few of the exercises
    you listed. I've been considering the Shakeology shakes because of the nutrient density, but how does it taste?

• July 24, 2013 / 5:50 pm

Hi Olivia,

The chocolate is fantastic! Shakeology doesn't have that chalky taste most of these types of drinks have. Add a little peanut butter and you will think your in heaven 🙂

13. June 20, 2013 / 2:50 am

Your very welcome. I have tried tons of replacement and protein shakes and these taste fantastic. I like chocolate the best, mixed with frozen fruit it tastes a bit like dessert 🙂

• July 5, 2013 / 12:53 pm

Your welcome Koryn 🙂

July 1, 2013 / 3:41 pm

Thanks for sharing, Nikki. With your aggressive workout schedule (four days a week), how do you maintain your hairstyle(s)? As with most, working out induces a lot of sweat and post workout, my hair always ends up a disaster quite frankly. Do you have any tips you can share?

• July 5, 2013 / 1:14 pm

I generally wrap my hair when I work out, tying it very tight around the edges and not removing it until about 30 minutes after I work out. I also sew silk into my baseball caps lol I know it's excessive but…… Wearing my hair up in a bun or pulled back isn't particularly because I think it looks good, it's more so because it's less maintenance when I'm working out. The short story is I don't obsess with my hair being on point at all times when I'm working out so I settle for 2-3 good hair days a week.