DIY Slouchy Pants and Sweatshirt

IMG_9587
Nothing for me is more comfortable than a pair of slouchy pants and a sweatshirt topped off with a pair of comfy heels.  When not in my loved pencil skirts, this is one of my fallback favorites.  The pants were made with leftover material from this look, using this Burda pattern I previously made these with.  The only changes made were to the pleats which I opted for inverted pleats, and elastic around the ankle.

The top was made with my beloved Vogue V8840  pattern which have made so many apperances like here here here and here  and this Oscar de la Renta wool crepe from Mood which I quilted.      The following pattern alterations were made:
– Cut the back and front piece of the pattern piece 13″ from the top which created four pattern pieces.
    Quilted the front top pattern piece
– Removed the darts from the pattern in the front and back
– Removed 3″ from the top sleeve and added 10″ to the bottom sleeve
– Created a key hole in the back of the neck for easy removal
– Added elastic around the waist, and cuffs.
– Top stitched the seam between to top and bottom half of the front

Top-DIY
Pants-DIY
Heels-Pollini
Clutch-DIY

1. September 10, 2013 / 3:39 pm

I love this from head to toe! You've taken a "sweatsuit" to a whole other level! And you've just reminded me that I need to make my pants like these.

• September 11, 2013 / 11:27 am

Thank you Erica, I can't wait to see yours.

September 10, 2013 / 3:52 pm

Oh Nikki, these pants are absolutely gorgeous!!!! and that sweatshirt, love it!!! and as for the shoes, well, I need those, LOL!!!!

Jennifer

• September 11, 2013 / 11:27 am

LOL thank you Jennifer

3. September 10, 2013 / 4:10 pm

I think this might be one my favorite looks of yours so far! I'm relatively new to your blog but I've been reading your archives and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your DIY posts. So inspirational! I really appreciate how you have taken interpretation of these patterns to a whole new level – you are definitely into designer territory. We have similar body types and I greatly appreaciate your bold looks – the bright colors, the hemlines, the necklines, the heels. All of it! I like the bright blue with winter white – lovely contrast. I also like the ankle strap killer heels with the elastic cuffs. I would not have conisdered that Burda pant without seeing your version. Now it's on my must sew list! Did I mention I'm looking at quilting in a whole new light now, too?

• September 11, 2013 / 11:32 am

Hi Rosanne thank you so much, I truly appreciate it. This was my second time working with a Burda pattern and honestly you almost have to do your own thing with it because of how challenging it is to read (or maybe it's just me lol). Hasn't quilting come a long way?:)

• September 11, 2013 / 10:20 pm

Definitely! I was a Burda magazine subscriber for years up until 2011, when they sort of entered the style dead-zone (IMO) and I cancelled. I haven't ever sewn from a Burda paper pattern but I've definitely sewn my share of traced patterns and tried to decipher the crazy instructions. My very first sewing from a pattern experience was with a McCall's shirt dress that came out looking like a smock/nursing uniform from a 60's psych ward. It was not the look I was going for and Burda had more style and less ease to have to consider.

Tell me, do you find your designer items retail or do you do a lot of thrifting or consignment shopping?

4. September 10, 2013 / 4:49 pm

"Comfy heels"…those shoes are comfy?

• September 11, 2013 / 11:34 am

lol shockingly yes. For me if it has any type of platform despite the heel height, it's comfy.

5. lisa G
    September 10, 2013 / 4:57 pm

WOW I LOVE everything about this look. You are really talented, and truly inspiring. Your skill is kinda sick. How long did it take for you to make this look?

• September 11, 2013 / 11:34 am

It took off and on two days.

September 10, 2013 / 5:01 pm

Look at the detail is this top, I agree with Erica, this look is EVERYTHING from head to toe. You better work!

• September 11, 2013 / 11:35 am

September 10, 2013 / 5:02 pm

I know your in the DMV, would you be open to giving pattern alteration lessons for a fee ofcourse? I would sign up ASAP!!! Please let me know

Claire

• September 11, 2013 / 11:36 am

I Claire

For a one off, your more than welcome to join me. Shoot me an email.

• September 12, 2013 / 6:37 pm

I was going to suggest that you have a sewing party and just impart all of your skills and wisdom. 🙂 I am so in love with the detailing on your top and the pants are fabulous. Chic and such a beautiful color.
      I've managed to make a few things in classes over the years but whenever I try to sew something on my own it just never turns out quite as good. I feel like I need actual instruction and visual demonstration. I guess the best thing to do is just practice!

• September 12, 2013 / 6:38 pm

8. Tiffany from Chicago
    September 10, 2013 / 5:07 pm

I love the fact you have such a great body and don't feel the need to always put it on display. You definitely but fashion first.

Inspired

• September 11, 2013 / 11:37 am

9. September 11, 2013 / 12:19 am

This is one of my favorites of yours. Gorgeous!

• September 11, 2013 / 11:37 am

Thank you so much!

10. Ty
    September 11, 2013 / 2:57 am

Excellent! Only a person with real style can make high heels and a sweatshirt look like they were made for each other.

• September 11, 2013 / 11:37 am

11. September 13, 2013 / 1:50 pm

Gorgeous pair of pants, royal blue is one of my favorite colors.

12. September 14, 2013 / 12:56 pm

Your work is always top notch! I love this look!