maxi
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
I sincerely hope everyone had a beautiful, positive and productive 2013.  When I started this blog less than two years ago,  I wanted to showcase things/interest in my life that I loved which are beauty, fashion, home decor and food.  I had never sewn before so sewing wasn’t even of the radar, but after my first maxi skirt I was sold.  My life is now filled with endless design inspiration boards, which if you would have told me two years ago I would be the Mood Fabrics style blogger and making my own clothes, I would have thought you were nuts.  Daily I receive emails from women asking questions about sewing, fashion, beauty, food and fitness.  I am truly honored that you find what I do inspiring.  I try to answer all the emails I receive but with my crazy busy schedule It may take a while for me to get to it (I’m working on that lol) so I have compiled a list of the most FAQ covering a number of topics.
I appreciate from the bottom of my soul the support from everyone who follows me.
Nikki
1.  How long have you been sewing
Since May of 2012 where I made my first maxi skirt
1.5 Why did you start sewing?
I’ve always been creative so when my husband bought me a sewing machine a few years ago and he asked me why it was still sitting in the box I decided to take it out and give it a spin.
2.  What type of sewing machine do you use?
Up until November 2013 I used a Brother CE4000 (died) now using a Janome DC2013 and a Brother SQ9185 as a back up and a Singer ProFinish serger.
3.  How often do you sew?
 5/6 days a week.
4.  Where do you shop for fabric?
Majority of what I make comes from Moodfabrics.com, Gstreet Fabrics, Tandy Leather
5.  Do you make custom clothes?
I do some custom here on Etsy
6.  Where did you learn to sew?
I looked at lots of youtube videos….love Fashion Sewing Blog TV ?, scoured the net for helpful tips , took Craftsy classes and took a draping class locally.
7.  How did you learn to alter patterns?
I wish I had some fantastic answer for this but It’s truly experimental.  I have an idea in mind, find a pattern that’s in the family of what I’m trying to accomplish and literally think outside the box by cutting the pattern to make it behave the way I want it to.  I look at a pattern as a blue print to allow my vision.  I would recommend picking up some builders paper at Home Depot and experimenting with altering patterns.
8.  Do you offer sewing classes?
This is a question I get daily.  If your local to the DC area and would like to learn how to sew we can discuss classes, just email me at nikki@beautejadore.com
9. Do you use a dress form?
No I made one out of duct tape (epic fail) and I purchased one off craigslist that was too big (another fail) I’m not yet convinced I can find one that’s closer to my body type (although I’m looking hard).
10. Do you have a sewing room in your house?
I’m one of those people that need organization and a clutter free environment to be productive so yes, I have a sewing room seen here.
11.  Who takes your blog photos?
The pictures with me in front of the camera are taken by my husband unless noted and all others are taken by me.
12.  What type of camera do you use?
Canon T1I with a 50mm 1.8 lens-fashion photos, 18-55mm lens for home decor pictures and HD Macro for food pics
13.  How do you keep your closet organized?
Not share it with my husband 🙂 I make sure everything has it’s place and stays in it’s place.  It’s pretty spacious so it’s less inclined to become cluttered.  Twice a year I give clothes away, donate to the goodwill and throw things out which also helps with any clutter and disorganization.
14.  How often do you shop for clothes?
Not very often at all, I’m VERY frugal and prefer quality over quantity.  Being that I now make a good portion of my clothes I have a better understanding of retail, wholesale and markup so I don’t have an interest in throwing my money away.
15.  How often do you work out?
3/4 days a week (necessary evil) routine here
16.  How tall are you?
5’10”
17.  What size do you wear?
6 at the top and 8 at the bottom
18.  What products do you use on your skin?
I switch up my skincare products frequently because my skin tends to get bored (or maybe it’s just me) but my tools I use are pretty consistent.  I swear by sunscreen, facials and my Clarisonic seen here
19. What products do you use on your hair?
I wash and condition my hair every week and a half, switching out my products every 3/4 months.  I’m currently using Alterna shampoo and conditioner.  I don’t use oil but use a hot oil treatment every two weeks.  I also use a hair steamer every two weeks which helps keep it moisturized.  I let it air dry and use a hair serum for shine.  I wrap it at night in a satin scarf and try desperately not to comb it frequently which is why it’s often in a bun.
19.  How do you find the time to sew and cook with such a busy schedule?
Time management, little sleep and a ridiculously supportive husband)

1. January 1, 2014 / 8:43 pm

Love sticky beaking about someone I find particularly inspiring ;-). On dress forms, I have always found it hard to find one that suits me. I went through 3 (expensive learning curve) before discovering my 4th. My problem was finding one that went small enough in the hips but not too narrow in the bust. I found the project runway one most like me. But along the way, I did discover the Fabulous Fit system for dress froms (actually had to ship if from over your way as it wasn't available in Australia). So you get a smaller than you need dress form and selectively add the realistic shaped curved bits of foam to it – ie for padding out bust, or bum or hips etc. Having a realistic dress form makes it so easy for me to make perfectly fitted bodices…it's the unfitted ones that I am still learning with!

• January 10, 2014 / 6:47 pm

RE: Fabulous Fit – I was going to suggest the same thing to get a dress form to be closer to your own shape. I bought a Fabulous Fit kit a few years back and used it with my dress form and it's worked out pretty good. I would recommend going off the dress forms measurements and not the size (which, let's all admit, is relative to the brand/company) and get the one which would best match your upper half and use the FF to reshape the lower half.

…and LOVE your blog/IG by the way. I've been a sewer most of my life and have NEVER created such stylish/amazing things like you are constantly churning out. Thanks for the motivation ;0)

• January 10, 2014 / 6:53 pm

RE: Fabulous Fit, I was going to suggest the same thing! I had the same issue finding a dress form that fit my shape, and the FF system has worked out pretty well. I would recommend going off of the dress forms measurements rather than the size (because, let's admit, size is relative to the brand/company) and go with the one that will work for your (smaller) upper half, and use the FF to get the lower half right.

…and LOVE your Blog/IG btw. I've been a sewer most of my life and have never created near the quality/amount of stylish items you do. Thanks for the inspiration, motivation, and keep you the excellent work!

2. January 2, 2014 / 12:13 am

Loved reading your Q&A, I love your style and the way you customize patterns to your taste. I'm a beginning sewer, but it's hard to find the time with three little ones.

3. January 2, 2014 / 12:21 am

Your blog is so inspiring.. I actually started sewing in May 2012 also and I am now obsessed with making my own clothes. The funny thing is, I'm taking a draping class at Bits of Thread this Sunday, I'm super excited about that. We'll see how it goes. Again Love your blog..

4. January 2, 2014 / 4:04 am

Thanks for sharing these facts, I am so shocked that you've only been sewing since May 2012. Wow, your work is top notch, I expected years of experience. I love your style and blog!

5. January 2, 2014 / 1:31 pm

Happy New Year! Thanks for sharing. I am now inspired to get in the sewing room and sew up a storm!

6. January 2, 2014 / 4:36 pm

Yay! Another tall person, I thought you were shorter based on the high heels you wear (teaches me to not project my own height insecurities). Love your style!

7. Kim
    January 2, 2014 / 5:29 pm

Happy New Year! Wow, it's hard to believe that you've been sewing for less than two years. You appear to be fearless with your sewing and crafting. Congratulations on your 2013 successes and best of luck in 2014.

January 2, 2014 / 7:25 pm

you can get a custom made dressform with pgm. they are expensive but I have never seen a complaint about their dressforms. here is the link for them. http://www.pgmdressform.com/

9. January 6, 2014 / 3:56 am

i found your blog through Mood – so great to see a local sewing blogger! i really enjoying seeing the things you make. i recently started sewing a couple of years also – my first real class was at bits of thread. i don't sew nearly as often as i would like. keep up the great work!

10. January 6, 2014 / 5:16 am

Great post! Love your sewing space!

January 10, 2014 / 2:24 pm

Love Love & Love. Im one of those who have emailed you inquiring and praising. Now that you mentioned these sewing classes, I'm sure there are a few of us in the DC area who would love a lesson or two from you (hint hint). I'll email you about that.

Thank you again for all of your inspiration. I am trying to follow my passion and not focus on the money because I know within my passion lies a greater reward.

You are an inspiration and from us all who constantly visit your blog – THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

12. July 22, 2014 / 5:26 pm

Great post! Very inspirational on juggling craft passions and organizing!