DIY Perfect Little Herringbone Dress

herringbone-dress-5
I happen to be absolutely in love with perfectly fitting dresses and no one does them better than Victoria Beckham.  I kinda scratch my head at the fact that I’m head over heels for a spice girl, well not her exactly but you get my point.  Her dresses are AMAZING, the fit, the fabric and the simple lines are pretty much perfection at the highest level.  But this is where the love ends……..the average price of one of her beautiful dresses is a cool $2,500 yes you heard me $2,500 for just one?!?! ummmm I don’t think so.
Into my life walks this fabulous herringbone fabric from Moodfabrics.com now this is fabric perfection!
This 2 way stretch wool that cuts and sews perfectly allows you to create a great fit without a lot of work.  I lined the dress with this silk georgette from Moodfabrics.com which is a perfect compliment to the wool.

Dress- DIY
Coat-Marni
Clutch-Bottega Veneta
Heels- Brian Atwood here

The dress was made with the bodice of this McCall’s M5927 pattern and a self drafted skirt with the following alterations:
-Added 1.5″ to the front and back of the neck for a higher neck
-Cut the back and front bodice pieces 5.5″ from the top to create two additional pattern pieces and seam lines
-Faced the back and front bodice pieces
-Reduced the diameter of the arm opening to create a slimmer sleeve
-Cut the sleeve at 11.5″ from the top to create a seam
-Add a 2″ seam cuff
-Drafted a skirt to attach to the bodice -measure from the bottom of the bodice to determine the length you want the skirt.  Measure your hips at the widest point and cut two pieces of fabric with those dimensions.  Fold the back piece of the fabric lenghtwise and cut it in half.  Using a 5/8″ seam allowance sew the back pieces together baste stitching from the top down 9″ for the zipper then sew the side seams.  Matching the bodice side and back seams to the skirt side and back seams, pin together.  Working from both side seams, gradually decrease the waist so the skirt matches up to the bodice, this will require you to create new side seams.  Once the skirt and bodice matches up and the seams are matching, sew the skirt and bodice together making sure you baste across the zipper seam.  Attach a 22″zipper, try the dress on inside out.  To create your perfect fit, pin the skirt where needed and mark with chalk.  Remove the dress and make the appropriate fit adjustments then trim the excess seam allowance.
-Add a 2″ seam band at the bottom of the dress

Shop this look

January 11, 2014 / 3:45 pm

Perfection!

2. January 11, 2014 / 5:18 pm

This is a beautiful fabric! Such a great pairing with the style of dress. You always look fabulous and I love your style.

3. January 11, 2014 / 8:13 pm

Yep, still love this dress!!! Stunning fabric choice. I am putting it on my mental checklist to make when we move to Kansas in a few months.

4. January 11, 2014 / 9:13 pm

I love it. Clean and Classic. I so agree with Chinelo–"Simple and classy"–a formula my mother always told me you can never go wrong with!

5. January 12, 2014 / 1:56 am

Just beautiful!

I definitely had to balk, clean my glasses, then reread what VB charges for her dresses. I don't even wear glasses – so you know thats a problem!

6. January 12, 2014 / 5:27 am

I too Like, admire, ok DROOL over VB dresses. They are beautiful and so is this lovely dress of yours! That's the beauty of Bespoke fashion. Make it PERFECT for you. I do so wish I had your talents, you are lovely and classy and make such lust-worthy creations!!! For now, I have to rely on a tailor/seamstress to make my custom clothing dreams come true. Your skill is obvious given the types of fabric you work with and your attention to detail. Anyway – you are one of my fashion blog stars & I pin you regularly! PS, you have a figure to die for, too!.

7. January 13, 2014 / 11:04 am

beautiful dress! love the style and cut, you did a fantabulous job!

lifeisashoe.blogspot.com

8. January 13, 2014 / 3:49 pm

Nice. This is a great fabric.

9. January 21, 2014 / 9:10 pm

Oh my word, I love it!

10. January 28, 2014 / 6:32 pm

Just started following….LOVE LOVE this dress!!!

11. February 7, 2014 / 10:39 am

Perfect! Your style is impeccable.

12. March 1, 2014 / 9:32 pm

Beautiful dress and figure!

13. March 5, 2014 / 10:56 pm

I'm a Maryland gal but had to learn about your blog from YouLookFab! But now that I know about it I'll be by often. I dug my old Viking Husqvarna 1100 sewing machine out of storage not long ago but have mostly been hemming or doing alterations on store-bought garments, because I can't trek to G Street and when all of the fabric stores in my area became like Dollar Stores, I despaired of being able to use my stash of patterns with anything. You have given me a kick in the seat of the pants with the Victoria Beckham inspired dress!! I just may have to copy that idea!! Thank you for sharing your creations!

14. June 19, 2014 / 3:09 pm

Gorgeous! Just Gorgeous! Those Shoes – Gasp! You know your style for sure – Classic with a personal flair.

August 12, 2014 / 5:22 pm

Just stumbled across your blog– LOVE it! Your DIYs are absolutely beautiful, thank you so much for sharing.

16. December 22, 2015 / 10:18 pm

You look amazing in this dress!