DIY Little Green Dress

green-dress
When I found out I was pregnant the goal was to only make clothes that will be post  pregnancy appropriate and so far at 6 months I’m sticking to my plan.  I figure with a few alterations here and there I should be ok.  The downside of being pregnant beside the nausea that won’t manage to go away is the lack of awesome maternity clothes.  When you do a google search, all you seem to find is a bunch of stretchy dresses or tops with odd looking belts sitting at the top of your stomach.  All I could think of was this is absolutely not my style.  I still have the desire to dress like myself but accommodate my growing belly.  Thank goodness I’m capable of making my own clothes.

This dress was made using a ponte like fabric that’s been in my cabinet for over a year and I have no clue where I purchased it.  It has a two-way stretch and it’s very breathable.

The pattern used was this Vogue V1102   which also made an appearance last year here with the following alterations:

-Removed 1.5″ from the bodice
-Removed the bow option
-Cut 2 pieces of fabric 41″x 21″ sew each side of the fabric together, attach the side seams to the bodice side seams.  Pleat the fabric as as you attach it to the bodice and sew together using a double stitch.
-Add a 1.5″ band to the hem

Dress: DIY
Heels: Sergio Rossi
Clutch-DIY here sold here

1. June 15, 2014 / 9:56 pm

Such a gorgeous dress! The colour and style. Beautiful on you. I tried to do the same as you before the birth of my first bubba. I never purchased any 'maternity' wear. The thing that tripped me up was forgetting about front access for feeding bubs. I just stopped wearing so many fantastic clothes because of the hassle of undressing every 30min… Next time round I learned from experience and I just sewed buttons or an invisible zip CF of ALL my tops and dresses and I could wear pretty clothes on day 1. Although, after five years considering front access (on and off ;-)) I'm looking forward to moving beyond this 'design feature' in all my clothes!

• June 16, 2014 / 6:40 pm

Thanks Debbie, I never even considered that ๐Ÿ™ going forward I definitely will.Lifiting these dresses up will not be cute or appropriate.

• June 16, 2014 / 6:38 pm

2. June 15, 2014 / 10:56 pm

You are just about the most stylish, gorgeous pregnant woman ever! So glad I didn't have to go through a pregnancy with you — I would have been hiding in my tent dress! This will be great now and later! Love you in that shade of green.

• June 16, 2014 / 6:38 pm

lol awww Cissie thank you so much!

3. June 16, 2014 / 12:03 am

Lovely dress, it looks gorgeous on you. I am so impressed by your impeccable sewing ability.

4. June 16, 2014 / 3:02 am

Agree but it's a lot of beautiful maternity clothes out there I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I'm doing good so far I stop using anything without strech at 16 weeks my better pieces are maxi dresses that I found at Tjmaxx and target. I love your style and you skills are amazing but for a gal like myself I get find myself great maternity clothes Asos Isabella Oliver Seraphine Pink Blush are a few of my fav

• June 16, 2014 / 6:35 pm

There are some nice maternity clothes out there just not necessarily my style. It was important to me not to have to adopt a new style esthetic because of my pregnancy. Congrats on your pregnancy!

• June 21, 2014 / 5:37 pm

Nikki so glad you took that stance
      I am so like you in always staying true to my style no matter what the circumstances
      you go gurl – I cannot wait to see this best dressed kid

5. June 16, 2014 / 10:47 am

really beautiful dress! that shade of green looks amazing on you

• June 16, 2014 / 6:33 pm

6. June 16, 2014 / 1:45 pm

Nikki, you are the epitome of pregnancy chic. Would you mind if we shared a photo on our Vogue Patterns Facebook page? Thanks! โ€”Meg

• June 16, 2014 / 6:41 pm

Thank you Meg ๐Ÿ™‚ you are more than free to use the pics.

7. June 16, 2014 / 6:26 pm

Nikki you look amazing! That dress is everything and some more.

• June 16, 2014 / 6:31 pm

8. June 16, 2014 / 7:06 pm

You look gorgeous as always! Thank you for always giving a detailed account of the changes you have made. Love your style!!

9. June 16, 2014 / 8:18 pm

Awesome colour green! Fantastic legs! You're stylish everyday, really admire your skills!

• June 17, 2014 / 2:50 am

10. June 16, 2014 / 9:58 pm

I am such a fan! You are always elegant and gorgeous and no one would EVER know you have experienced any nausea by the look of your ever beaming face! I looked at the white dress you referenced and this is so different. Your ability to take the same pattern and give it a completely fresh re-make is a tribute to your talent and creativity. Hate to sound like such a "stan" but I just think you are such a lovely lady and I'm constantly pinning your entries and my followers love you too! I have NO intention of becoming a mom again, but you are doing it with STYLE! can't wait to see what you cook up in baby clothes! j'adore bebe! maybe?

11. June 18, 2014 / 5:19 am