DIY Crepe and Suede Mini

When I opened my email and saw that Moodfabrics.com had began selling suede and leather, I was over the moon excited.  If you have ever had the pleasure of visiting the NY location, the suede and leather section is phenomenal and filled with unique beautiful suede and leather.

Because I absolutely love working with suede and leather I knew I immediately wanted to incorporate it into a mini dress and this suede from moodfabrics.com was the perfect weight and color to do just that.  The crepe used was this ivory wool crepe from moodfabrics.com which is perfect for every season.

The pattern used for this dress was Vogue V8840 which is a shirt pattern I have altered many times seen hereherehere and here.  The following alterations were made to this pattern:

-Added 8.5″ to the length
-Removed 2″ of the length then re-attached to create a band
-Added a 1.5″ suede band around the sleeves
-Added a 1/2″ suede band around the neck
-Added a 9″ invisible zipper at the back of the neck

With 5 weeks to go, this dress will be a perfect post partum option.

Dress: DIY
Heels: Elizabeth & James
Necklace: Vintage and YSL
Bracelet: DIY
Clutch: DIY

1. August 28, 2014 / 8:08 am

Best legs in the Bloggosphere!
    So excited for you and your pregnancy. I'm sure you're giving a lot of pregnant girls fashion ideas.
    Loving your design choices, would never have thought to mix crepe and suede.

All my best,
    Miss J

2. August 28, 2014 / 2:10 pm

Lovely! I really like the bands added to the sleeves and hem. They are the perfect amount of detail to added to a fairly simple shape. So chic.

3. August 28, 2014 / 3:18 pm

wow time has really flown by just 5 weeks left – well you need to do maternity patterns because all thru your pregnancy you NAILED it and you ROCKED it – love your style pre pregnancy and now

keep it up

4. August 28, 2014 / 3:37 pm

Very cute! I like the detail on the sleeves and collar. Perfect not just for post partum, but also for the Fall season.

Pam

5. August 28, 2014 / 5:44 pm

Hi Nikki….wow this is beautiful. Question….is this dress lined?? the simple shape and detail make this look so elegant:)

6. August 28, 2014 / 7:39 pm

This outfit looks really gorgeous on you , you're definitely glowing, I also love leather fabrics , but its a shame i don't know how to sew…lol. Lovely pictures.

StyleandBeautyLounge

….

7. August 29, 2014 / 12:57 am

Stunning! Also I want to congratulate you on your spread in Vogue Pattern Magazine. You deserved it.

8. August 29, 2014 / 1:16 am

It's a simple silhouette but you've elevated it with the touch of leather! You could definitely open your own design house because you have great style!

9. September 5, 2014 / 4:17 am

Timeless dress. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your shoes!