DIY Bright yellow statement coat

DIY Bright yellow statement coat
If you follow my blog in the winter, you know I love love love coats and what’s more amazing than a yellow statement coat!

A couple of weeks ago I was craving an in-store Mood fix and decided to take a quick trip to New York.  If you have never been to Mood Fabrics NY you are truly missing out.  Just imagine three floors of wall to wall designer fabrics and notions that if you are a lover of fabrics like me, the moment you exit the elevator feels like you entered heaven.  I’m not kidding you, endorphins are released and a feeling of euphoria falls over you.  Unfortunately I created a monster because I’m already planning my monthly fabric trip to Mood.

I had been searching high and low for a beautiful bright yellow wool so while sauntering down the wool isle I instantly fell in love with this medium weight bright yellow amazing fabric.  If you are unable to make it to the store, online has some equally great wool options.

This coat was made using this bell coat from Burdastyle with the following alterations:
-Removed the snap button options
-Added a flexible interfacing in the front facing to allow the ends to flap over

I lined the coat with a polyester satin that was also picked up at Mood NY.

Coat-DIY Burdastyle 11/2013 #116
Jeans-Habitual
Sweater-Madewell
Heels-Manolo Blahnik
Bag- Banana Republic

!function(doc,s,id){ var e, p; if(!doc.getElementById(id)) { e = doc.createElement(s); e.id = id; p = ‘//shopsensewidget.shopstyle.com/widget-script.js’; var cb = new Date().getTime(); p += ‘?cb=’ + cb; e.src = p; doc.body.appendChild(e); } if(typeof window.ss_shopsense === ‘object’){ if(doc.readyState === ‘complete’){ window.ss_shopsense.init(); } } }(document, ‘script’, ‘shopsensewidget-script’);

1. November 26, 2014 / 7:08 am

Love the color, love the style, love the whole look!

Norma

2. November 26, 2014 / 11:25 am

That coat looks amazing on you! Yellow is definitely your color. And to think that you are a new mother and manage to look so stunning. Where are the bags under your eyes? Where is the spit-up all over you? And what did you do with the extra weight?

3. November 26, 2014 / 12:50 pm

Lovely coat, Nikki. I wish I lived close enough to Mood Fabrics to make a monthly trip! Instead I go to at least one Big Apple conference a year just so I can get my Mood fix…the rest of the time? I visit the store online, which only has a fraction of what's in the stores….

4. November 26, 2014 / 5:48 pm

Awesome coat, I envy you the trip to Mood and can just imagine the tactile feel of the fabric!

5. November 26, 2014 / 7:31 pm

I admire your skills on this one! Such a lovely fabric choice as always, one day would love to come to the states, if you ever organise a meet up, a fabric trip to Mood is in order!

6. November 26, 2014 / 7:33 pm

I love coats too! Now I'm craving a bright colored coat! This is too fabulous!

7. November 26, 2014 / 11:06 pm

Wow – that coat is gorgeous! Love that vibrant yellow color.

8. November 30, 2014 / 3:30 pm

Hi Nikki I am working on this pattern. This is my first downloadable attempt. I don't usually sew with test fabrics, so Im trying this in denim (test fabric…that I had an abundance of..lol) until my Mustard Yellow Wool comes in from Mood. It was the deal of the day on Wednesday. Who doesn't love 50% off! One Question: What color/lining material would you use for a medium weight, scant stretch, and light grey denim?

9. Cheryl
    January 24, 2017 / 11:32 pm

Omgosh! Just seeing your blog for the first time, this is my new favorite website. I must add that you are too sharp! I am just learning to sew, I now feel so inspired, can’t wait to try some of your ideas, Thanks for sharing!

• Nikki
      January 25, 2017 / 3:17 am

Hi Cheryl

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate the support.

Nikki