DIY Neoprene dress and sleeveless coat

pic1
Neoprene has seriously come a long way, gone are the days of only having the scuba look as a neoprene option.  I swear if I could scoop up every neoprene fabric available I would.  Outside of wool, this is my second favorite.  It cuts with ease, sews beautifully and is one of the only fabrics you can make a dress, shirt and coat out of and achieve a completely different look and feel.

This neoprene was picked up at Mood Fabrics in NY which now has a section of neoprene to swoon over.  This fabric has a cotton textured face which completely disguises the fact it’s neoprene.  If you aren’t able to make it to the store, moodfabrics.com just added every neoprene color imaginable.  I can already envision a great statement coat.

The coat was made using this wool fabric from moodfabrics.com

The pattern used for the dress is McCall’s M5927 view E with the following alterations:

-Add 1 1/2″ to the neck front
-Add 1″ to the neck back
-Cut a 5″ from the top seam on the front and back
-Added fit darts on the bodice back
-Removed the skirt darts
-Removed the pockets and Added a faced pouch
-Removed the back slit
-Removed the gathering from the sleeve wrists and added pleating at the sleeve shoulder

The coat was made using Burdastyle 12/2010 #101 with the following alterations:

-Add 6″ to the length
-Add a 18″ zipper to the front flaps
-Remove the sleeves and add a 1″band to the arm holes
-Add snap buttons

Dress: DIY
Booties: Gianvito Rossi
Bag: Cleo & Patek

1. December 5, 2014 / 12:19 pm

This is just too much. So pretty and well fitted, I'm in love with the style, fit and fabric colour.

I noticed you never add slits to your skirt and dresses, why is this? Does it not make it uncomfortable to walk in or rides up?

• December 5, 2014 / 1:58 pm

Thank you so much. I normally remove the slit unless I really don't have an option because of the fabric or its too tight not to, but I'm not a fan of back slits I like the look without them.

• December 6, 2014 / 7:38 pm

I always worry i ant be able to work without a slit. Will have to try a dress without. thxx

2. December 5, 2014 / 1:29 pm

Gorgeous outfit, neoprene is very rare to find down where I am, so I would scoop it up if I stumble across it as well!
    FF

• December 5, 2014 / 2:01 pm

Mood has a good selection online this month in case you want to scoop some up 🙂

3. December 5, 2014 / 1:54 pm

I've been noting the neoprene trend. I would have never guessed that your dress was created using it. I'll have to try some out.

4. December 5, 2014 / 3:06 pm

Thanks for the inspiration for what to do with some black stretch Merino wool. You look amazing and the fit is so perfect

5. December 5, 2014 / 3:16 pm

You are seriously "AMAZING" at customizing a pattern and sewing. Love this outfit.

6. December 5, 2014 / 4:27 pm

Absolutely fantastic outfit. I just ordered a swatch of neoprene from Mood so I can see what it feels like. I've been wanting to try it out for awhile now but I keep reading nightmare stories on other blogs. But your outfits look so amazing that I have to try it. What type of sewing machine needle and thread would you recommend using with it?

7. December 5, 2014 / 5:18 pm

OMGawt Nikki just gorgeous!!!!! I just placed my order for some neoprene fabric. You definitely inspired me with this!! Thank you!!!! I'll

8. December 5, 2014 / 7:16 pm

I agree another great outfit.

9. December 5, 2014 / 8:32 pm

Nikki, you did a fantastic job…. I'm inspired…..

10. December 5, 2014 / 8:35 pm

I've not worked with neoprene yet, does it get icky on the skin if you get hot?
    It looks like a fabric that needs minimun finishing, which is always a plus!
    Lovely dress on you,
    J

December 6, 2014 / 2:13 am

Congrats on your beautiful baby girl! I love your work. This is absolutely gorgeous. Very dressy/casual. Would you mind sharing how you created the faced pouch? Thank you

12. December 6, 2014 / 12:28 pm

This outfit is a dream!!!!! I love everything about it! I've never worked with or even heard of Neoprene fabric! This is new to me, so thank you for sharing! The fabric looks beautiful and somewhat similar to Ponte which I love working with. I love your dress so very much, that I would love to recreate it if I could. I hope you don't mind, but I am going to give it a try. I'm heading right over to Mood to get Neoprene fabric for it! Thank you so much for the inspiration…everything about you is an inspiration! Makes me so happy to know we have something in common…SEWING!

13. December 6, 2014 / 5:01 pm

Love your version of the dress. I have that pattern and would never have recognized it with your brilliant changes. Love the pouch. Which begs the question — where is yours???? Are you sure you just had a baby? Or were you just making that up?

14. Taylor
    December 6, 2014 / 6:56 pm

i love the color, great work as always. i recently posted a jumpsuit inspired by the Balmain runway show in an army green color as well. check it out at sewsincity.wordpress.com

15. December 7, 2014 / 5:41 pm

Gorgeous as always! I haven't tried the neoprene yet but if I can achieve results like yours, I will certainly check it out!