DIY spring ready sleeveless coat

pink
We are finally in our last days of winter thank goodness, but with that enters a few weeks of unpredictable weather.  It isn’t quite warm enough to put the coats away, but you can finally shed those layers.  What better way to do that than with a sleeveless coat, which if you follow my blog have seen several versions over the past few years seen here, here  and here.

When I spotted this Jill Stuart fabric on moodfabrics.com, I can honestly say I wasn’t in love with the texture.  I knew the color would make a great coat but I wasn’t sold until it arrived in the mail.   This fabric is gorgeous! the quality is amazing, it sews beautifully and irons great as well.  I’m a bit disappointed this is the only color available.

The coat was made using this downloaded Burdastyle pattern with the following alterations:
-Added a seam line down the front
-Added a front facing
-Made the coat sleeveless and added a 2″ faced band
-Removed the pocket stitching and tacked the pocket to the inside

Heels- Sergio Rossi
Clutch-DIY here
Jeans- Joes Jeans
Top- Club Monaco

!function(doc,s,id){ var e, p; if(!doc.getElementById(id)) { e = doc.createElement(s); e.id = id; p = ‘//shopsensewidget.shopstyle.com/widget-script.js’; var cb = new Date().getTime(); p += ‘?cb=’ + cb; e.src = p; doc.body.appendChild(e); } if(typeof window.ss_shopsense === ‘object’){ if(doc.readyState === ‘complete’){ window.ss_shopsense.init(); } } }(document, ‘script’, ‘shopsensewidget-script’);

1. March 17, 2015 / 1:17 pm

So pretty! And more practical than most would think. Since I don't sew, I've taken a few coats and jackets to the tailor and have had the sleeves removed. I've even had this done to a fur jacket that looks a little to "Bear-ish" with the sleeves. Now it's a funky fur vest.

Pam

2. March 17, 2015 / 2:24 pm

Gorgeous color! I love it!

3. March 18, 2015 / 5:44 am

Lovely coat! I love the sleeveless style, but I dont know if I would dare try it – mostly, if it's cool enough to wear a coat, pretty sure my arms would feel too cold. Those shoes are pretty fabulous too, I love what they bring to your outfit.

March 18, 2015 / 12:51 pm

Are you still considering posting tutorial videos?

5. March 19, 2015 / 5:25 pm

LOVE!

6. March 22, 2015 / 3:59 am

LOVE the vest styling…perfect for spring…looks lovely on you! My sewing has taken a back seat ..because of my fashion blog..need to get back to it..thanks for the inspiration!

Valerie

7. Wynter
    April 3, 2016 / 1:47 am

Hello. This coat is gorgeous. This will be my first coat project. I am excited, a lil nervous, but I can’t wait to try this. I have a few questions. On the alterations, you mentioned you removed the pocket stitching and tacked the pokets to he inside. What does that mean? Are the pockets still there, yet you closed it?
    Also, I was looking to add a leather facing. Do you think that would be do-able? I have some lamb leather in my stash. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Take care and I am soo following your beautiful work. I used to live near where your pics are and you are taking me down memory lane. Thanks!

• Nikki
      April 7, 2016 / 2:06 am

What I meant by tacking the pocket to the inside is normally coats have a lining but because I chose not to line this, I didn’t want the pocket flopping around on the inside of the coat so I tacked it to the back of the fabric using an invisible hand stitch.
      Using lamb would look nice, it’s really soft and easy to work with so I’m sure that would work out.

Where do you live now?