DIY Caftan dress

caftan1.1
Who doesn’t love a caftan? a one size fits most caftan.  If you haven’t indulged in this chic trend, now is the time.  Because of the simplicity of caftans, what’s most important is the fabric choice.  You can go the beach route, the casual lounge route, the elegant route or the sexyish route, which is the direction I went in.  This coral fabric from moodfabrics.com with it’s ribbed texture and 1-way slight stretch was perfect for this caftan.  Unfortunately it’s sold out online but possibly still available.  the product #ID 305574.  This is a gorgeous fabric with a substantial weight.  Make sure you have a tiny needle on hand because this fabric is quite a challenge to sew.

The pattern used was this vintage Simplicity 5900 with the following alterations:

-Removed 24″ from the length of the pattern
-Removed the zipper from the back of the pattern
-Removed the neck collar option of the pattern
-Cut a plunging neckline  15″ down from the top.
-Added a 36″x2″ tie belt

Dress- DIY
Heels- Sergio Rossi
Bangle-AV Max

!function(doc,s,id){ var e, p; if(!doc.getElementById(id)) { e = doc.createElement(s); e.id = id; p = ‘//shopsensewidget.shopstyle.com/widget-script.js’; var cb = new Date().getTime(); p += ‘?cb=’ + cb; e.src = p; doc.body.appendChild(e); } if(typeof window.ss_shopsense === ‘object’){ if(doc.readyState === ‘complete’){ window.ss_shopsense.init(); } } }(document, ‘script’, ‘shopsensewidget-script’);

1. May 12, 2015 / 2:01 pm

I love everything about this I bought this pattern but still haven't found the right fabric yet
    I love the way it drapes in the back
    You always have the best fabrics

2. May 12, 2015 / 3:41 pm

Wow, I love this and I just love how you modify patterns to make it all your own. The color is delicate and feminine just like your design.

3. May 12, 2015 / 6:20 pm

You look amazing 🙂

4. Andreea
    May 13, 2015 / 9:49 am

Please, I try to find some models :sewing machine and overlock/serge machine . What is your recommendation from overtocks, target or other trusted websites? Thank you !

May 14, 2015 / 4:58 pm

I love it! What type of fabric is this? I'm still learning about fabrics and I would like to be able to go to the fabric store to feel and touch.

May 19, 2015 / 12:47 am

WERK!!!

June 17, 2015 / 4:11 pm

This is so beautiful. I want to make this as one of my summer outfits, but I can't find the pattern. Do you have any suggestions on where I can find the pattern?

July 25, 2015 / 11:42 am

Video tutorial?

9. July 25, 2015 / 11:43 pm

You are amazing! I've just found your website & have so much admiration for your abilities to modify a pattern. I'm currently trying to teach myself design/sew from slopers & I'm just in awe of the things you've created from existing patterns. This caftan is one of my favs. You definitely have a new fan! 😉 I'm really looking forward to learning from your pattern alterations.

10. Asalwaysandrea
    August 1, 2015 / 2:08 am

I stumbled upon your site last night and I am impressed. I have been sewing for more than 4 decades and I recognize talent when I see it; you are beautiful and full of talent! My children have been urging me to start a blog for at least a decade; I have been reluctant to say the least. Seeing your work has reminded me so much of myself though – you inspire me all over again! Many thanks for sharing. May God’s blessings keep you – always.