Big announcement………………………

ScreenShot2015-09-16at5.13.51PM

I’m super excited to announce I’m joining McCall’s patterns as their newest licensed pattern designer under the McCall Brand.

This is truly a dream! since making my first skirt in May 2012, I have spent countless hours at the fabric store and online shopping the McCall line of patterns, so working with them as a designer for my own line of patterns is absolutely incredible.

My objective with the patterns I’m going to design is to provide sleek fashion forward designs with minimal pattern pieces making the sewing process easy for new sewers and a cake walk for experienced sewers.  My goal is to take the fear out of sewing with patterns proving if you have a desire you can do it.

Within the next few weeks, I will be coming up with my initial designs and would really like to know if you could design the perfect pattern what would it be? What do you feel is missing from today’s patterns? What’s holding you back from jumping into this sewing adventure?

1. September 17, 2015 / 7:31 pm

Congratulations Nikki. If I were to design a pattern, I would like it to be a classic style, simple. The details however, should lift the pattern. I like the little details you incorporate in what you sew.

• Btra
      September 18, 2015 / 8:40 pm

I agree with Dibs about the details. These unique touches make your pieces stand out more. Also they allow you to utilize more basic pattern.
      To answer your questions…the best pattern is a versatile pattern with minimal modification, regardless of the type of clothing. Not to laborious. Today's patterns in and of themselves don't necessarily lack anything, however the designers style shld be seen in every piece. Some designers create patterns and that do not reflect their personal style. Every Beaute J'adore pattern (!!!!!!!) should look like something we would see posted on BeauteJ'adore.com! (Excuse my mini rant.)

Congratulations on your new venture/ adventure! I look forward to seeing your designs bc I believe that your work will be sincere and on point.

Be well and God bless you and your beautiful family.

2. September 17, 2015 / 7:39 pm

Congratulations!!! What an awesome opportunity!! I look forward to spending ALL MY MONEY on your patterns lol! If there is anything that I would love to make using your designs would be pants. You pull them off so effortlessly! I'm so excited for you!

3. September 17, 2015 / 8:01 pm

Wow congrats. What a fantastic opportunity for you.

4. September 17, 2015 / 8:17 pm

Congratulations! I'm a long time fan of your sewing and your style, looking forward to your patterns! I'd love to see a fashion forward over coat like the ones you've altered from patterns in the past. I've found there are some very involved coat patterns and some that are more traditional but would love a great modern pattern that's accessible for beginner and intermediate sewists!

• September 28, 2015 / 1:14 am

I 100% agree with Emily. I'm also a long time fan of your blog and style. I'd love to see a fashionable over coat. A lot of the patterns in general are just missing a modern more youthful aesthetic. I also agree with Se'An Marie on the pants, and personally I seem to love all of your more fitted dresses.

Either way, I'll definitely dedicate a bit of the budget to making sure I have every one of your patterns when the time comes!

5. September 17, 2015 / 8:23 pm

Congratulations! This is wonderful news.

6. September 17, 2015 / 8:49 pm

Congratulations Nikki!!! Bring on the stylish sleek!

7. September 17, 2015 / 8:49 pm

Congratulations! You deserve it! i would like to see a crop blazer pattern that sit at the waist not over the buttocks also flare coat patterson.

8. September 17, 2015 / 9:01 pm

Congratulations! Eagerly awaiting your designs.

9. September 17, 2015 / 9:10 pm

Congratulations. … this is an awesome achievement.
    I'm inspired!

10. September 17, 2015 / 9:17 pm

This is so awesome! Congratulation! May God continue to bless the work of your hands!

11. September 17, 2015 / 9:21 pm

Congratulations! This is great news!!!

I love the classical patterns (and I collect them), not the modern with strange solutions.. What I miss in available patterns is maybe a bit of retro details/lines. Also, I love clothes designed to accent the feminine shape (but there is often problem with fitting to waist/breast – I'm beginner and sometimes the adjustment of a pattern is beyond me).

12. September 17, 2015 / 9:21 pm

Congratulations!! This is very exciting!

September 17, 2015 / 9:43 pm

This is going to be great stuff, and I can't wait for your patterns to be released! i'm all for easy, sleek and modern sewing patterns with an edge. Congratulations!
    Lee

14. September 17, 2015 / 10:29 pm

Congratulations! That is fantastic. I love everything you make so I can't wait to see what patterns you come out with.

15. September 17, 2015 / 10:31 pm

Having followed your blog from the very beginning I am SO PROUD OF YOU sis!! Congrats and I can't wait to see what you do with this new opportunity!

16. September 17, 2015 / 11:31 pm

You've put a lot of time into your blog and showed a lot of classy fashion for many an occasion and even pregnancy.
    Pleased for you, you're a focussed and hardworking creative person. I'm sure your patterns will be inspiring.

17. September 17, 2015 / 11:50 pm

Congrats. Keep them sleek, simple, and sophsicated!

18. September 17, 2015 / 11:59 pm

Wow this is so exciting! I have been sewing 37 years and have done a small amount of designing, the time factor is what stops me , I have a day job.. Congratulations…so happy for you!

19. September 18, 2015 / 12:16 am

Congratulations!! This is huge and so well deserved! And can't think of a better option for McCallS:) they're very lucky! And i am super excited about your proposal: minimalistic designs…music to my ears. Id love to see a wide leg pant, a boxy yet somewhat shaped top(I know…sounds crazy), a cocoon type coat( Zara esthetic maybe?) very exciting, looking forward to seeing them

20. September 18, 2015 / 1:03 am

Can you please create a fashion forward pattern for tops or shirts with clean lines and a minimalist look? You were the inspiration for me to sew because you developed your craft in a short period of time. It showed tremendous dedication and you are from the DMV! Lol

21. September 18, 2015 / 1:07 am

Wow! Congrats! They recognize talent! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

22. September 18, 2015 / 2:00 am

I can't wait to see the patterns! I've admired your sleek, sexy but modest style for a long time!

23. September 18, 2015 / 2:20 am

Congrats. I was looking for a long sleeved sheath dress. A winter version of a shift. Couldn't find anything and I could really see one as your style.

24. September 18, 2015 / 2:38 am

Congrats! I can't wait to buy your patterns.

25. September 18, 2015 / 5:55 am

So exciting. I love your aesthetic.

26. September 18, 2015 / 5:59 am

One thing missing from today's patterns: UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS! Come on Big Four, it's the 21st Century! You could make a it difference if you get McCall's to update their instruction sheets.

27. September 18, 2015 / 7:28 am

Congratulations!!!! You deserve it, you have great style…thank you for sharing your talents.

MIA from pattern sewing… 'TALL options &/or supplements'. I am, like you, tall (5'10", long legs). I'm sure there is no need for me to detail that challenge to you :).

**Also on my wish list would be the perfect cigarette pants pattern…..I've searched high and low.

28. September 18, 2015 / 9:58 am

Congratulations! yout worked hard!

29. September 18, 2015 / 9:58 am

Congratulations! yout worked hard!

30. September 18, 2015 / 12:11 pm

Wow congratulations!!
    One thing I miss is a simple dress, with a special back BUT underneath which you can still wear a bra…

31. September 18, 2015 / 1:52 pm

This is awesome!! Congratulations!!!

32. September 18, 2015 / 2:53 pm

Congratulations!!!!! Looking forward to seeing your patterns.

33. September 18, 2015 / 2:59 pm

OMG!!!! I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Can't wait to see the coming pattern!!!! Oh Nikki YOU DESERVE IT! I'm always be a fan and follower of your style and blog!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

34. September 18, 2015 / 3:37 pm

I'd love to see more patterns that look like current things in fashion. And sexy but not trashy. Congrats! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

35. September 18, 2015 / 4:49 pm

Sew deserve…I would love to see patterns that are current with African American fashion trends…..Majorie Harvey..Steve Harvey wife is always on point and current with fashion trends. I would love patterns that reflect her style which is so similar to your own:)

36. September 18, 2015 / 7:29 pm

Congrats, I am so happy for you and am definitely looking forward to your designs.

37. September 18, 2015 / 8:43 pm

CONGRATULATIONS NIKKI!!! I am so very happy for you!! If anyone deserves it, you and your very beautiful style does! Of the "Big 4", McCalls patterns are the ones that fit me right out of the envelope, so I extremely happy they selected you!

I'd like to see anything you come up with because everything I've seen is perfect and I would wear. It appears, the slacks you create are very much needed because of their stylish nature. I've been away from my blog and sewing for a while, but will be jumping back in very soon and look forward to some of your new patterns!! Good Luck and I wish you all the best!

38. Kesha Chatman
    September 18, 2015 / 9:52 pm

SO EXCITING!!! I am new to your blog and to sewing but am so happy I found you! I think your personal style is AMAZZZZING (your baby is the cutest) and I'm inspired by what you've created. As a NEWBIE Sewist (but Professional Stylist for a TOP Fashion Company) I would ask that your patterns be EASY TO READ! Please remember that new Sewist do not have the SEWING "LINGO" figured out and I'm constantly Googling and Looking up terms/info written on the pattern, for example: "Stay-Stitch".??? I was suppose to do this to the collar of a pattern, but I had no idea what that meant! I had to Google it. Before I started sewing I looked into taking a class called "Learn to read Patterns" that's how complicated they are, PEOPLE TEACH A CLASS ABOUT IT-LoL?!….Also since most of us (sewist) likely have to "ADJUST" our pattern for proper fit, it would be great to give a Separate/Additional Instruction sheet that explains in detail how to effectively get the proper fit when the buyer's bust/waist/hip measurements aren't an exact match to what's on the back of the pattern package….My own measurements are never a match to the back of the pattern. I typically buy the size that best represents my bust although the waist & hip measurement listed are sometimes 2 to 3 inches bigger than what I need. I'm sure I'll add more suggestions as I continue to sew through the weekend.

39. sewnaptural
    September 18, 2015 / 11:55 pm

Congratulations! ! I'm looking forward to seeing your patterns. Tall. Tall. Tall.

September 19, 2015 / 3:48 am

High waisted EVERYTHING! Pants, shorts, skirts…EVERYTHING! Lbvs Congratulations Nikki this is only the beginning. #WayUp

41. September 19, 2015 / 3:23 pm

This news is AWESOME! I can't wait to see your name and face (?) on McCall's Patterns.

42. Noirelan
    September 20, 2015 / 1:02 am

I'm so excited for you! Hope you turn McCall upside-down by showing them how talented you are. So glad they chose you to take them into the future.

43. September 20, 2015 / 9:52 am

Accessories! What is a great outfit without a great accessory piece to go with it. A purse, a wallet. So Congrats and good luck!

44. September 20, 2015 / 3:52 pm

Congratulations, Nikki!!! You so deserve this opportunity and I can't wait to see and purchase your patterns.

45. September 20, 2015 / 4:04 pm

WOW I am truly a BIG FAN of yours and sew myself. You are truly an inspiration to me and you will do AWESOME! ! I am definitely purchasing your patterns without a doubt!! CONGRATS NIKKI YOU CERTAINLY DESERVE!!!….Dreams do come true!!

46. September 20, 2015 / 6:55 pm

Congrats!! I'm very excited to see your designs!!

47. September 21, 2015 / 3:48 am

Congratulations!!! Please Please Please do not create lots of pattern pieces.. LOL!!! Good Luck and Best Wishes.

48. September 21, 2015 / 7:26 pm

Amazing!! So excited for you!! Congratulations! I can't wait to see your first patterns come out. I'll even buy them at full price! 😉 your style sense is my inspiration so I'm sure that your patterns will follow that. I see how you take a pattern and then make it your own so maybe you'll offer up some suggestions as such. maybe a basic pattern with your sleek, modern lines, and then a menu on how to schuzz it up….options, backless, or ruching, or fancy detail, finishing… although many sewists know what they want to look like, many of us newer sewers may not have the vision or skills to take it up to the next level. Seeing your creations on your blog has allowed me to really see possibilities that I didn't understand before… pleating, leatherwork, drafting, cutout. So looking forward to your vision!!! Congrats again!!

49. September 21, 2015 / 9:44 pm

Oh wow. That is wonderful!! Congratulations:)

50. September 21, 2015 / 10:08 pm

Congratulations Nikki! I am not at all surprised. Your design eye is insane!!!

51. September 22, 2015 / 12:45 am

Exciting! Cant wait to see what you come up with! Congratulations!

52. September 22, 2015 / 1:02 pm

Congratulations!!!!! The way you work and rework a pattern, this is the perfect opportunity for you to show the world your talent.

53. Diane in London
    September 22, 2015 / 8:44 pm

Congratulations on the McCalls deal. Your designs are great so its not a surprise that they snapped you up quickly……before another company did! And you certainly do design your clothes, as you can take a basic pattern and alter it into something entirely different.Fantastic!!!!

September 26, 2015 / 1:48 am

How wonderful.Congratulations! I too am a DMV mom and would love to see some updated patterns for girls. I learned to sew 2 years ago because my oldest is tall and I have the hardest time finding age appropriate and stylish clothing. I would also like better instructions and illustrations. For me I like the styles that you've designed and shared here. I'll be buying your patterns. Best wishes!

55. September 26, 2015 / 7:52 pm

I really think you should provide a sew along to accompany your patterns. Congrad Nikki

56. September 28, 2015 / 1:31 pm

Wow! Congratulations! I look forward to seeing your work. Go girl!

57. September 28, 2015 / 3:40 pm

You are amazing! Congratulations!
    I have so much fun following your blog. After taking a very long break from sewing garments, switching to quilts….which I did not much enjoy…….with your inspiration, I've returned to garments………..even bought a new Bernina, and am making gorgeous clothes. Because of you, I've even designed a few myself from items I've loved, worn thread-bare, and had to retire to the rag bag.
    Congratulations again! Keep up the great work!………..and thank you for inspiring me!
    Ann
    Ohio

58. September 29, 2015 / 8:56 am

DETAILED sew along would be nice. Some sew alongs skip steps or don't show/provide up close shots of which pieces are being sewn together, so it can be confusing for a sewing newbie.

Some patterns can lack details, are a bit frumpy. Your style is chic, modern & sexy! Please translate your style to your patterns!

59. September 29, 2015 / 6:38 pm

Hello Nikki! I am a newbie. Let me first say I absolutely love to see your talent on display. I follow you on instagram. I have a keen eye for simple classic statement pieces and have always wanted to learn to sew for myself and my child but I have hesitated. Recently it has been tugging on my heart to just start especially for my little girl. How would you suggest I go about it? I currently make unique little girl hair pieces by hand and I am always in and out of fabric stores; joanns and Gail K here in Atlanta. But I feel its time to move on to a sewing machine and patterns. What machine do you suggest for beginners? I really appreciate the time and feedback. My email is topsylavy@yahoo.com

60. September 29, 2015 / 6:41 pm

Hello Nikki! Good job and more grease to your elbows. Please recommend a beginners sewing machine and how to go about sewing for myself and my young daughter; 2 years old this November. I already make hand made unique hair accessorizes for little girls and I have a keen eye for classic statement clothing. I would love to create those imagined clothing that I can not seem to find in stores for myself and daughter. I really appreciate your time and feedback.

– Aisha

61. September 30, 2015 / 7:51 am

Congratulations! I love when you make leather goods & bags. Or incorporate leather into your clothing! I would like patterns that give detailed tips about the leather adding to garments. I also love the way your clothes fit! Maybe somehow incorporate tips about proper fitting! Keep up the great work!

October 1, 2015 / 7:40 pm

Congrats Gurl!!!!!!, I would love to see some baby/children clothing patterns. I think the little dresses you make for Chandler are adorable!!!

63. October 11, 2015 / 3:13 am

Congrats!!! Please post/create more of your baby items. Maybe even a few videos???

64. October 13, 2015 / 2:41 pm

Congratulations. You and your style deserves this opportunity.

65. October 25, 2015 / 6:49 am

Congratulations, you deserve it I wish you much success in your new venture.

66. Georgie
    April 1, 2016 / 10:05 pm

Congratulations! Can’t wait to see your designs.

I would like to see more vintage- inspired, classic pieces with modern, feminine details.

67. Trin
    April 5, 2016 / 4:16 am

Hi. When will your patterns be available for purchase?

• Nikki
      April 7, 2016 / 2:09 am

In July

68. Timesa
    April 15, 2016 / 3:15 am

Hi Nikki. I came on to ask the same question about the patterns. July it is !

69. Berle Archer
    August 19, 2016 / 6:47 pm

Nikki!

Such exciting and inspiring design news. Kudos to you for employing your gifts, talents and creativity to thrill those of us who love all that is fashion, beauty and style! As a former Ebony Fashion Fair model, I love the drama of your pieces and how much they are walking expressions of you! (Very important!)

As a longtime sexist, I love dramatic coats and jackets that make simple skirts, dresses and pants look fantastically chic. Please continue to provide us with the same dramatic and stylish flair, replete with sassy collars, artful sleeve shapes, and unexpected hemlines! (Maybe the future will hold some creative treatments with bias binding, intriguing fabric combos , coupled with your fabulous eye for a compelling silhouette!)

Continued success!